A statement from the NSWHCA regarding the upcoming NSW State Championships and the 50th Anniversary of the Australian Hobie Cat National Championships – Jervis Bay, NSW.
For those who are in lockdown, a huge congratulations goes out to you guys for getting through another week off the water!
As it is the second last weekend of the Australian winter (on a splendid day I might add, with a perfect NE Seabreeze beginning to build offshore from Plantation Point), I can bet you’re sick and tired of not being able to catch up with the Hobie Family, share a drink, have a yarn or just go plain old sailing with your mates?
Because you can bet the NSWHCA feels the exact same way you do! So, if you’re feeling a little over it, call up some of your fellow Hobie Family mates, share a virtual beverage, a cheeky yarn and look ahead to the glorious days to come…
Many of you will be wondering about the chances of the 50th Australian Hobie Cat National Championships taking place at the VSC on Jervis Bay, NSW over the New Year period, especially in light of last year’s most unfortunate cancellation. (And before you forget, here’s just a gentle reminder we are still moving ahead in the planning for the NSW Hobie 14, Women and Youth States in October with the members from VSC [back-up dates being the 12th, 13th and 14th of February], as well as the Hobie 16 State Championships that are currently due to take place at Twofold Bay Yacht Club, Eden in December).
Now to that Nationals, the NSWHCA and the Vincentia Sailing Club are damn keen to put on the 50th Anniversary of the Australian Hobie Nationals this year, and you can bet that it will be the experience of a lifetime. But trying to factor in the unpredictability of our Nation’s restrictions (etc.) makes this task both frustrating, challenging and (fingers crossed) rewarding at the same time.
We understand that if the members of any State or Territory is unable to reach Jervis Bay on the 28th of December due to border restrictions, this event will regrettably not be classed as an Australian National Championships for obvious reasons. But regardless, the VSC is still hoping to host an event over the new year period. However, the name and status of this event will be determined by the restrictions in place at the time, and the events leading up to it.
At this time, the NSWHCA is working closely with Hobie Cat Asia Pacific in finalising the NOR and entry forms for both State Championships and the Nationals. With the optimism that these events still have a chance of going ahead, we highly recommend that you still look at booking accommodation for the current dates as planned (just a quick mention that Jervis Bay ain’t too bad for a holiday).
With the Hobie 16 World Championships currently planned to take place sometime in 2022, the logistics for an alternate qualification event will need to be determined. We hope to the wind gods that we do not have to cross this creek.
On SATURDAY 20th NOVEMBER, a yay/nay decision will be made and published on the ANHCA/NSWHCA Website and Facebook.
We believe this five-week lead time will provide all parties involved with enough time and flexibility to plan for alternative arrangements.
In the meantime, take care of yourself, take care of your mates and by all means…go and get bloody vaccinated!